In this technology era, the growth of digital services and evolving consumer needs have made companies seek faster ways for digital transformation. Low Code is an excellent solution adopted by companies worldwide to boost their digitalization. Yet, what is low code and what is a low code programming language? In this article, let’s find out what it is exactly. We’ll also discuss why we need Low Code, Pros and cons of Low Code, and some best Low Code platforms you can find in the market.
What is low code?
Low Code is a modern approach to software development that emphasizes little to no coding. It allows faster delivery of software with less manual coding. Furthermore, you don’t need extensive knowledge of programming languages to build apps with the Low Code approach.
A low code application platform is a bunch of tools that facilitate low code development. It enables building applications visually with the help of modeling and a GUI. One key feature of low code platforms is their drag-and-drop layout builder.
According to Gartner, more than 65% of software development projects will use low code approach by 2024. The pressure to produce digital solutions to cope with Covid 19 pandemic has further increased the adoption of this approach.
Why do we need low code app development?
The low code approach simplifies the development of sophisticated business apps. It allows you to easily build complete software rich with modern interfaces, integrations, and logic without writing thousands of complex code lines.
The following are some major benefits you can gain through this low code application platform approach.
- Increased productivity – Since low code development speeds up application delivery, a project once took a few months now only takes a few days. Thus, low code has removed the time barrier from software development, paving the way for real innovation.
- Reduced Costs – The ability to deliver more apps in less time undoubtedly reduces the costs. However, it’s not the only driver of this cost savings. Low code also eliminates the need for more developers, cutting down hiring costs. Besides, Low Code platforms make everyone in an organization more productive without being limited to IT people.
- Improved business agility – In this rapidly evolving technology landscape, businesses must effectively adapt and respond to changing market conditions and potential opportunities. Building apps using traditional development approaches to cope with these needs can be tedious. Low code development tools aid the rapid development of systems that are capable of meeting numerous requirements.
- Enhanced customer experience – The impacts of low code development travel beyond the IT companies who are using it. The consequences of speedy development lead to better customer satisfaction. For instance, Low Code allows development companies to adapt to evolving market conditions and customer needs quickly.
Best Low Code Platforms
Businesses with the need to scale should search for effective ways to maximize their productivity. Investing in one of the best low code platforms might be a great solution to this endeavor. They are basically app builder software that includes intuitive and visual tools for users to build apps rapidly with less effort. PowerApps, Retool, Quixey, Creatio, GeneXus, Zoho Creator, Appian, and Mendix are some popular Low Code app development platforms.
What Are The Pros Of Low Code Development?
- Mitigation of shadow IT – Gartner states that a company’s demand for new apps is growing five times faster than their IT department’s ability to deliver them. The IT team is struggling to meet this increased demand. So what happens when the IT department can’t deliver all the solutions required by the company? Then the companies entirely bypass the IT department and adopt third-party solutions. This practice is known as “Shadow IT.” Companies can avoid this Shadow IT by utilizing Low Code app builder software. They enable end-users to build their own apps without the assistance of the IT department.
- Cross-platform functionality – Low code development lets you develop an application once and deploy it across various devices. This cross-platform nature and 1-click deployment enable adding new features and updates to all application instances simultaneously. Thus, users can have an equally outstanding experience across all desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
- The ability to achieve more with existing skills – Application development is a constantly evolving field, demanding new skills from time to time. Many companies find it difficult to bridge this skills gap. Besides, recruiting highly skilled developers when there are outdated systems and apps is not affordable. However, the Low Code approach addresses this issue by utilizing the current skills of employees. For instance, one company used a low code tool to develop web applications using COBOL programmers.
What Are The Cons Of Low Code Development?
While Low Code definitely has its pros, there are also some cons you need to be aware of.
- Limited functionality – The functionality you can implement using low code development platforms is limited. Even though they speed up the development, the available options may be limited when you want to try something innovative.
- Vendor Lock-in – This is another greatest fear surrounding low code development. If you need to do any modification to an app built using a specific low code platform, you have to do it on the same platform. You don’t own the source code of the apps built with Low Code platforms. Thus, you will be locked into that particular vendor as long as you wish to continue with the app. Migrating to a new platform will be difficult, and you might have to build a new application.
- Security limitations – While low code solutions have built-in security protocols, they still can’t provide the same level of security as stand-alone development technologies. Moreover, applications built with Low Code neither provide you complete control over data security nor access to the source code. Hence you can’t determine all the possible vulnerabilities in Low Code apps.
- Lack of customization – This is one of the biggest drawbacks of Low Code development. Customization options may vary according to the Low Code platform you use. Some platforms will limit your capabilities, while others enable you to create tailor-made applications for your business requirements. Thus it is critical to consider the customization limits before adopting a specific Low Code platform.
What’s The Best Low Code Platform For Your Business?
Different Low Code platforms have different functionality and features. Therefore, finding the best low code platform for your business can be challenging. You have to carefully review the features of each platform and follow several steps before going for a particular platform.
RAD Studio is an excellent cross platform app builder by Embarcadero. It allows you to develop apps 5x faster with a single codebase for all platforms, including Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, and Linux. The latest release of RAD Studio 11.1 comes with ample features to build high-performance native applications using C++ and Delphi. Furthermore, it consists of robust visual design tools and integrated toolchains to simplify the development. Their FAQ will help you to get a quick idea about the product. Their thorough documentation make it learning pretty easy.
Contact Embarcadero today to learn more about our expertise in Low Code development.